Data centers are one of the most expensive aspects of enterprise information technology. Sophisticated equipment, electricity needs, environmental controls and security measures lead to increasingly high operational costs. To maximize a data center’s potential, it’s important to stick to the best practices and regular maintenance to make sure your devices are functioning at their highest capability.
Here are three tips for maximizing data center efficiency:
- Maximize device value during and after use
- Proper data center equipment maintenance decreases the chances of needing device upgrades before the end of its use. Once the time comes for device upgrades, older equipment can be refurbished or recycled to ensure maximized value, as well as bringing opportunities for monetary return on older devices.
- Ensure all practices are in compliance with legislation.
- Any violation of state or national legislation can lead to costly court fees, penalties and reputational damage. To avoid any monetary or reputational loss, enterprises should always stay up-to-date on industry legislation and the consequences of violations.
- Work with a certified IT asset manager
- Working with a certified IT asset management company that provides data center services ensures all data center equipment is properly managed. An ITAM specialist ensures all devices are used to their best ability during their lifespan, and are properly refurbished or recycled once they are no longer of use. Along with using the best practices to maximize device value, a certified IT asset manager is compliant with all legislation and can provide accurate documentation to remain accountable.
To maximize data center efficiency, enterprises should use the best practices in device management, refurbishment and recycling all while working in compliance with legislation. One way to ensure all equipment is being used to its best ability, and is properly disposed of or refurbished after its use, is to work with a certified IT asset manager.
HOBI International, Inc. is an R2, RIOS, ISO 14001 certified IT asset management company. HOBI provides the best practices in data center management, from installation to end-of-life services.
Thanks for these useful tips. Asset and capacity management is crucial for data centers. This is why it is always useful to look for a DCIM solution that offers the best real-time views of the entire data center, including all networking equipment, servers, rack PDUs, storage, patch panels as well as application. Real time alerts and reporting can help you keep track of and even modify things, where needed.