Your ITAD vendor shows you proof of their “certificate of recycling.” That’s fine, but what does this simple piece of paper really mean?
HOBI International is an R2/RIOS certified ITAD company. Complying to all rules and regulations set forth by R2, HOBI customers are rest assured their IT equipment and electronics will be handled responsibly. From complete data erasure to the most minimal waste possible, HOBI is a trusted and certified electronics recycler nationwide.
The R2 Standard focuses on the performance of electronics recyclers in the areas of:
• Environmental and public health
• Worker health and safety
• Security (data and facility)
Unfortunately, many ITAD vendors are not in compliance with environmental standards and regulations. Some electronics recyclers just do not want to shovel out the money to responsible recycle e-waste, while others simply do not care enough.
An ITAD article brought up the risks associated from non-compliance with e-waste recycling standards and regulations that are eventually relayed back onto your company:
• The risk of paying fines and legal fees when your company is found to be non-compliant.
• The risk of reallocating company resources to avoidable remediation efforts.
• The risk of bad publicity and a loss of customer or investor confidence
It is not only beneficial but absolutely necessary for organizations to verify certifications presented by ITAD vendors as more and more reports of irresponsible, hazardous and illegal electronics recycling practices surface.
HOBI implements a Green Commitment, which strives to meet the requirements of all federal, state, and local environmental laws and other electronic asset disposal requirements, the prevention of pollution, and implementing best environmental practices in all aspects of our business. To accomplish this goal, HOBI has put an Environmental Management System (EMS) into effect to cover all aspects of the Batavia HOBI facility and has established four key electronic asset disposal practices that will form the backbone of HOBI’s EMS:
• Management review, participation, and oversight in all areas of the EMS
• Employee and contractor environmental awareness
• Establishment of procedures to ensure EMS requirements are met, and
• Continuous improvement of the EMS and HOBI’s environmental performance
ITAD organizations, like HOBI, invest time, effort and funds into certifications that tell customers they and all of their downstream partners follow all state and federal laws for electronics recycling while providing safe and healthy workplace conditions.