Mobile devices have many features that simplify traveling. Being able to store boarding passes on your smartphone, use a tablet to navigate around an unknown city and checking out of a hotel on your computer may cut down on processing time and paper to lug around, but without precautions, your personal data may be vulnerable to unauthorized parties.
Although traveling brings new opportunities for data leaks, taking preventative measures can prevent any harmful access to devices. With summer vacation around the corner, here are three precautions to keep in mind for your personal electronics.
- Turn off bluetooth
- Bluetooth is great for navigating and playing music in a rental car, but not necessarily the most secure connection. Hackers are able to see which Bluetooth networks your device has used, in turn making your device easier to access later on. Once a hacker has paired with your device through Bluetooth, they are able to install malware or access any personal information they need. For this reason, users should be mindful of which Bluetooth networks they access.
- Set up remote security access
- Pickpockets not only target wallets, but cellphones and other devices as well. In the situation that a personal device is stolen, or left somewhere while traveling, users may worry about locating that device or losing personal data. Engaging remote security measures ensures users are able to track, lock and remove any data on devices from a distance. This type of feature is seen in tracking devices such as Find My iPhone. Remote security ensures users are able to locate their lost device, lock the lost device and delete any personal data on that device in the case of theft.
- Opt for a virtual private network (VPN)
- A VPN establishes a secure connection over a public network, making wi-fi usage less of a gamble. Along with overall security and improved privacy, a VPN allows users to search the Internet trace-free, meaning no one can track online movement.
Increasing data privacy while traveling is easy when following a clear framework. With the right steps, personal data can remain inaccessible to outside parties. Along with the above list, users may also purchase a disposable cellphone or local SIM card to protect their identities and avoid roaming charges.