When gearing up for America Recycles Day this weekend, remember to take personal electronics into account. Recycling electronics cuts down on e-waste dumping, brings potential for reuse and saves internal metals to be used in other industries.
When choosing to recycle your personal devices, here are 3 guidelines:
- Prep devices
- Unused devices such as cellphones, laptops and tablets could be laying around or hidden in drawers. Once you have found the devices you wish to donate, set them aside so that they can be delivered to an electronics drop-off site. It is unsafe to dispose of electronics in a trash or recycling bin. After you have set aside these devices, be sure to backup any data you wish to keep onto another device in use.
- Locate a drop-off station
- A simple way to locate an electronics recycling drop-off site is to look at your community’s city hall website. Most communities have at least one verified electronics recycling collection site. Along with checking through city hall, your mobile provider may also accept old electronics and recycle or refurbish them accordingly.
- Ensure recycler’s credibility
- When dropping off your electronics, be sure the e-waste is processed by a certified electronics refurbisher and recycler. A certified electronics recycling company can ensure all data is erased properly from devices and pick the best path for older devices, whether that be reuse, or breaking down the device for internal components. A certified recycler is up-to-date on e-waste processing protocol, and does not dispose of e-waste irresponsibly.
Choosing a responsible electronics processor is imperative this America Recycles Day. HOBI International is a R2, RIOS, ISO-14001 certified electronics recycling and refurbishment company. We use the best practices in data erasure and choose the best paths for unused electronics.
Recycling electronics is easy once the right steps have been taken. Remembering the above steps ensures all old devices are put to their best use, instead of taking up space around the house.