One of the easiest ways to get involved this year is to responsibly recycle old electronics that are no longer being used. When rounding up unused devices in drawers around the house, there are a few simple steps to ensure devices are properly recycled.
- Wipe your data
- Although a device has not been used in a few years, it could still contain sensitive data. Once older devices have been located, performing a factory reset can eliminate any pictures, emails, messages or other information that may have been left behind on a device. Once the device has been wiped, it’s ready to be processed by a certified recycler who can erase any other residual data.
- Locate a drop-off station
- A simple way to locate an electronics recycling drop-off site is to look at your community’s city hall website. Most communities have at least one verified electronics recycling collection site. Along with checking through city hall, your mobile provider may also accept old electronics and recycle or refurbish them accordingly.
- Ensure recycler’s credibility
- When dropping off your electronics, be sure the e-waste is processed by a certified electronics refurbisher and recycler. A certified electronics recycling company can ensure all data is erased properly from devices and pick the best path for older devices, whether that be reuse, or breaking down the device for internal components. A certified recycler is up-to-date on e-waste processing protocol, does not dispose of e-waste irresponsibly, and remains compliant with local, state and federal legislation.
HOBI International, Inc. is an R2, RIOS, ISO 14001 and WBE certified electronics recycling and refurbishment company with locations in Arizona, Illinois and Texas. HOBI provides comprehensive and compliant solutions for all electronics recycling needs.
Recycling old electronics is one of the easiest ways to get involved this America Recycles Day. Check the HOBI blog and Twitter for more America Recycles Day tips and facts.