Provided is a weekly snapshot of the recent technology, mobile, and reverse logistics related news that HOBI’s blog reported on during the week 6/18-6/22.
There is no question that certain handset makers dominate the mobile market. And with the help of the big four U.S. carriers, tech giants like Apple and Samsung are able to overshadow mobile startups. Which leaves lesser-known, but just as innovative, smartphone makers struggling to gain the attention of consumers. In fact, a recent study shows that 88 percent of smartphone purchases are still occurring in physical retail stores, which leaves only a meager 12 percent segment of the market for mobile startups to try and appeal to.
It is no surprise to hear that more and more people are shifting towards e-commerce. Not only is online shopping convenient for consumers but it has proven to be very profitable for the reverse logistics sector. In fact, the growth of e-commerce has changed when and how consumer will return goods, which has prompted some companies to establish customer-friendly returns programs to help establish a successful e-commerce program.
A recent report from IDC examines the expansion and growth expected in the refurbished and used phone market through 2022. The report predicts refurbished smartphones are going to continue to grow in popularity over the next five years and will top $52 billion worldwide. One factor having a impact on the mobile phone market is the high prices of new handsets, which is changing the ways that buyers are approaching smartphone purchases. While the biggest markets for refurbished phones are secondary markets in developing countries outside of the U.S., there is plenty of potential for the enterprise to take advantage of these full-featured yet lower-priced phones as options for employees.
Today it seems that the new generation 4.0 industry and the integration of software into products have brought about a new pricing approach. But it’s not as simple as factoring in the fee of software into the overall price. Software pricing and licensing is a whole new ballgame, involving licenses, users, renewals, and support. Instead of a one-off hardware sale, it’s much easier to adapt hardware with a software component to different customer needs, which help broaden monetization channels. To get there, provided are seven steps to monetize IoT models and gain a competitive advantage.