youth-recyclingToday marks the 46th annual Earth Day. This year, Earth Day Network chose to emphasize the importance of trees in our environment with the Trees of the Earth campaign. The network plans to plant 50,000 trees by the end of the day.  While people may not have the resources or space to plant trees this Earth Day, one way to contribute to environmental wellness is recycling electronics.  

There are more than 130 million electronic devices discarded annually and only 14 to 17 percent of them are recycled properly. Electronics recycling prevents e-waste being dumped into harmful landfills and brings opportunities for internal components, like precious metals, to be reused. As electronics users continue to update their devices, old devices may be left behind and forgotten in a drawer or container around the house. The best way to safely dispose of these devices is secure electronics recycling.

Many major retailers and network providers offer trade-in opportunities for store credit or cash. Along with these type of programs, there are other third-party vendors that offer electronics refurbishing and recycling programs for devices at the end of their use.

When choosing to resell or recycle old devices,  it’s important to research each vendor’s data security and erasure policies. Although deleting information or resetting a device may seem like efficient data erasure, personal information can be stuck on a device, and be accessed by a malicious source. One way to eliminate any data security uncertainty is to work with a certified IT and mobile asset management company.

HOBI International is a R2, RIOS, ISO 14001 certified mobile asset management provider with more than 20 years in the business. HOBI identifies the best course of action for used devices towards the end of their lifecycle and provides secure, traceable data erasure.

Other opportunities to participate in the Earth Day movement include donations and multiple community celebrations. To find an e-waste recycler in your community, visit this site, or your city hall for more information.