Apple’s operating system is traditionally thought of as impenetrable, but recent events indicate otherwise. A team of hackers was recently awarded $1 million for a successful remote information breach of iOS 9 and more than 200 apps were removed from the app store after leaking users’ personal information.
Apple users may feel less confident in iOS 9’s security, but with the right precautions, personal data stays safe.
- Update unlock code and touch ID
- The newest iOS update, iOS 9, has the option for a six-digit unlock code instead of the traditional four digits. A longer unlock code increases difficulty for unauthorized sources to gain access to the device if stolen and for remote sources to access the phone. Along with a longer password, using touch ID decreases the odds of an unauthorized source gaining physical access to the device.
- Implement a storage app for credentials
- Using a secure app, such as LastPass, to guard credentials and other information ensures personal data does not fall into the wrong hands. LastPass stores vital personal information for users, such as login credential and credit card information. This app is a free, secure vault and password generator for users wishing to decrease chances of information loss. LastPass works across devices and automatically enters credentials on their responding sites and apps.
- Backup data regularly
- Scheduling a weekly device data backup ensures your information is safe in the event your device is broken or stolen. Implementing a standard data backup process reduces the chance of information loss when switching devices.
- Look into continued mobile security apps
- Utilizing an app specifically for mobile security can help users rest easy when storing information on a mobile device. McAfee Mobile Security is an app that protects personal information on a device by using a vault mechanism as well as password protecting certain photos and other files. If an unauthorized user attempts accessing the vaulted information, the app is able to take a picture of the users with the front-facing camera.
As the number of information breaches grows rapidly, device users need top-notch data security more than ever. More apps are being released for mobile security purposes than ever. With the right precautions, and by utilizing the right apps’ services, user information is safe and impenetrable by unauthorized sources.