‘Tis the season for giving.
I’m sure you have seen around grocery stores, malls and mobile kiosks, signs enticing you to get rid of your old cell phone and trade it in for a new one for the holidays.
The burning question: Should you donate or sell your old cell phone?
Top reasons to donate over sell
More to the cause: From an economical standpoint, selling your phone to an organization leaves little to no monetary value to go to the charity. After careful data erasure, refurbishment or recycling by a certified IT asset management organization, approximately 10% is leftover for charity after ‘fix up’ cost, while donating your cell phone leaves a gift of 90%.
Be Green. Give Green: Most people want to help the environment, right? Donating your cell phone to an environmentally-conscious company who is partnered with a certified IT asset management organization gives you a win-win situation! You’ll have peace of mind your data is secure and your cell phone is being responsibly recycled or refurbished, all the while not adding to the growing e-waste stream. Do good, feel good.
Let your old friend go: Chances are you have at least a cell phone or two lying in your junk drawer, maybe even an old iPod mini. Donate your junk drawer cell phone to someone who needs a little bit more than you. Make sure your choose a charity partnered with a certified IT asset management organization to ensure proper data erasure, refurbishing and recycling. Let’s face it, there are enough new models on the market to make your head spin. Let go and start fresh!
Final tip: Do some research, find a charity that gives the most to the program.
In the end, the best reason to donate your cell phone this holiday season is the gift of giving.