Whether a company has an explosive amount of growth, or wants to focus on consolidation, data center relocation happens. At first, this may seem like a stressful, never-ending feat, but with a few preventative steps and planning, any relocation will go smoothly.
Five steps to a safe and painless data center relocation
- A concrete plan eliminates any uncertainty or confusion while moving. With a strategy to look back on, all parties involved in the move will be more confident and relaxed. When writing a plan, be sure to include smaller goals that work to accomplish the overall big picture so that no one feels overwhelmed.
- Complete an inventory
- Through the years, devices may slip through the cracks unnoticed. For this reason, compiling a thorough inventory list before the big move helps account for all devices before, during and after the move. Listing any interdependencies between the devices cuts down on confusion later in the relocation process, and ensures all devices end up in their correct spaces.
- Be efficient with old devices
- Once inventory is complete, decide if any devices should be disposed of or replaced via recycling or refurbishment. Cutting down on clutter during a move decreases workload and assembly. Once devices are set aside, be sure to contact a certified electronics recycler for their disposal or repurposing.
- Keep your eyes on the prize
- Moving is stressful. Maintaining a positive attitude not only improves your outlook but the people around you as well. If any feelings of resentment or stress about the relocation rise, look at the plan previously mentioned.
- Pair with a relocation service provider
- One way to ensure smoother processes during a move is to pair with a data relocation provider. Partnering with a provider ensures less stress and better management, as these organizations specialize in these relocations.
HOBI International, Inc. is a leading IT asset management and electronic recycling company. HOBI offers services to refurbish remarket or recycle electronic devices that have reached the end of their use. During data center relocations, HOBI can repurpose and recycle any old inventory that is not relegated for relocation.
Along with electronics recycling, HOBI International offers data center relocation services that expedite the process of relocation and alleviate any stress associated with the project. HOBI specializes in proper server relocation and helping avoid any internal resource overload a company may face during relocation.
Although data center relocation may feel like a never-ending project, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Keeping a positive attitude and sticking to a plan are two main ways to alleviate the stress of a move, and remember that pairing with a relocation partner also decreases stress.